DVM, MsC, PhD
Agnès graduated as a veterinarian in 2003 in Toulouse. After few years in rural practice she came to research in epidemiology. Her PhD at CIRAD and in collaboration with RVC focused on optimizing surveillance and control of Peste des petits ruminants, applied to Ethiopia and Mali field settings. Today she is lecturer in swine medicine and in charge of the MSc GIMAT (Global Management of Tropical Animal Diseases) that aims at training specialists of animal diseases or risk managers tackling the emergence and spread of animal and zoonotic diseases. She shares her time between teaching, swine clinical activities and research.
Her research interests include epidemiological aspects of animal disease control and surveillance; risk assessment of diseases; socio-economic and participatory epidemiology approaches. Main research topics are swine diseases, PPR and antibiotic usage.
Main teaching duties are related to swine including zootechnical and medical aspects with theoretical but also practical approaches including clinical activities in collaboration with field veterinarians. Evidence based approaches are promoted. This also includes the supervision of several veterinarian thesis each year with topics driven by field actors of the industry. Besides she coordinates the MSc GIMAT, is responsible of the teaching unit related to understanding tropical animal production systems and strongly involved in the outbreak investigation one.
1. Fournié G., Waret-Szkuta A., Camacho A., Yigezu L.M., Pfeiffer D.U., Roger F. A dynamic model of transmission and elimination of peste des petits ruminants in Ethiopia. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1711646115
2. Waret-Szkuta A, Alarcon P, Hasler B, Rushton J, Corbière F, Raboisson D.Economic assessment of an emerging disease: the case of Schmallenberg virus in France. Rev Sci Tech. 2017 Apr;36(1):265-277. doi: 10.20506/rst.36.1.2627.
3. Decaudin PY, Raboisson D, Waret-Szkuta A. End-Cycle Sow Carcass Condemnation in a French Slaughterhouse. Front Vet Sci. 2017 Jul 10;4:108. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2017.00108. eCollection 2017.
4. Berton P, Normand V, Martineau GP, Bouchet F, Lebret A, Waret-Szkuta A. Evaluation of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome stabilization protocols in 23 French Farrow-to-finish farms located in a high-density swine area. Porcine Health Manag. 2017 May 23;3:11. doi: 10.1186/s40813-017-0058-1.
5. Relun A, Grosbois V, Alexandrov T, Sánchez-Vizcaíno JM, Waret-Szkuta A, Molia S, Etter EM, Martínez-López B. Prediction of Pig Trade Movements in Different European Production Systems Using Exponential Random Graph Models. Front Vet Sci. 2017 Mar 3;4:27. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2017.00027.
Other publications can be found on ResearchGate